DFW

"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier"

23 March 2011

J. Tillman - Year In The Kingdom

This album haunts my dreams. I have a love/hate relationship with writing about music; if I have to read one more adverb-laden sentence about "achingly beautiful melodies" or "crushingly epic guitars" I will eat a child. I really envy those who can do it well, but even the best music writing is trumped by simply shutting off your brain and listening, more importantly: feeling. And that's what this album is all about. Put your life on hold for just half an hour or so and listen to something else other than the whirring of your own brain.

Here's a live version of the first song (the title track) and some discussion about one of the overall themes of the album. He's an interesting person with what seems like a wry sense of humor, but I think he just an honest soul who is incredibly passionate about what he does, which often is tackling the kinds of themes most of us would rather not confront.



Western Vinyl is out-of-stock of the vinyl, but Insound has some and I really strongly suggest purchasing it. It's one of my favorite albums, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment