DFW

"They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier"

03 August 2010

Good Reads: J. Robert Lennon

J. Robert Lennon is relatively new to me; the first thing I read was this excellent short story in the Paris Review this past Spring. So I was hooked after that and did the most logical thing I could think of, which was to devour two of his books this Summer. Literally eat them. I hang-glided to the Porter Sq Book Store and picked up his 2004 novel Mailman, and also his most recent novel Castle. Both books are well-crafted with unique (uniquenewyork) characters, yet they're written in such drastically distinct voices that you wouldn't be a complete moron for assuming they were written by two different authors.

I am not at all a fan of book reviews giving away plot details, so I'm not going to tell you anything. Besides, I think people can tend to trust other people's opinions too often. In fact this isn't really even a review, it's more of a demand. I demand of you to read either of these books, preferably both. And I'd humbly suggest opening Mailman first, but you're an adult - you can do whatever you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment